This has been the weekend of grocery shopping and stocking up. Stocking up on regular supplies and doing some early Thanksgiving meal shopping. We went to Costco on Saturday and stocked up on supplies that only they can provide at such a good deal because it is in bulk. Bread, milk, antacids, salad, bagels, cream cheese, hamburger, the staples of life.
What's worse is we were almost out of toilet paper, down to our last two rolls! WAIT...can you hear that? It's a rhythmic thump, faint and muffled, but it's there. Hmm, what could it be...ahh, I know, it's my mother turning over and over in her grave. J/K My mom was cremated. But if she had been buried traditionally, it would definitely be happening. My mom got nervous when we got down to a six-pack of the stuff!
Then today we went to the commissary (Navy talk for the grocery store, for the un-militarized). They have even better deals and you don't have to buy in bulk. Let's just say, they've got almost everything a person could want or need there. Even frozen, un-fried green tomatoes for frying. Yep, they have fried apples in a jar. Not interested, how 'b0ut chitlins? Un-huh, they got it all, baby even turkey stock in a box. Oscar Meyer bun length turkey dogs (best turkey dog you can buy!) for $1.25 a package.
Anyway, so we've got the stuff home organized the pantries and put away everything, whew. I forgot just how tiring it was to a do a full scale stock up session. I always say I'm not gonna let it get that low and life happens and then I have to do it all over again.
Happily, I have tomorrow off and can rest up for my short work week, Yippie!
2 comments:
I think your mom and my mother-in-law would have gotten along famously! She, too, believes in stocking up and never getting low.
Children of the depression.
On the other hand, I am totally impressed that you can go A MONTH without going to Costco. I can't go a week! You are an amazing steward of your resources.
Yay food! Hehe I think it's great that you listed antacids as #3 on the list surrounded by food.
Post a Comment